Moving to Barcelona

We know how stressful it is to move, and more so if it is from one country to another. That is why we have prepared this guide with everything you need to know if you decide to move to Barcelona. We are not only the place to land, we also want to make it as smooth as possible to move to Barcelona.

Before you get to Barcelona

Depending on your country of origin, we recommend you to look for the closest  Spanish Consulate to inform you about the processes and documentation necessary for the processing of your visa or residence in Spain. Normally it is a process that we recommend to be done 4 to 6 months before the trip.

During your arrival

The first thing you have to do once you get to Barcelona is to register. This procedure is free and serves both to apply for residence and work permits, as well as for registration in schools and / or universities, validation of driving license, etc. It is done in the town hall corresponding to the neighborhood in which you are going to live. Request an appointment.

You will need a proof of address, which in this case is the signed rental agreement, the registration form that can be downloaded online or in the corresponding office, and finally your passport (photocopy and original).


Once you are registered, you must process the NIE, which is the Foreigner Identification Number. This number will help you to carry out most of the procedures such as opening a bank account, buying a property, buying a car, etc.

To apply, you must present yourself in person at the Foreigners Office or at the police station where you live, in most cases a prior appointment is required. As for the required documentation you will need the official application form (downloadable on the immigration website), passport (original and photocopy), and documentation proving the reasons for your request. You must select the document according to your request depending on the type of procedure to which you apply. Remember that if you are going to stay for less than 3 months in Spain, it is not necessary to obtain the NIE.

NIE prior appointment request.


You must request the Foreigners Identity Card it in the case that a visa or an authorization to stay in spanish territory for a period exceeding 6 months has been issued. In the card will also appear the NIE that will be definitive when the result of the residence procedure is resolved favorably.

At the Police Station or Foreigners Office where you applied for your residence permit, you must request an appointment to process the TIE. For this you have only one month from your arrival in Spain or permission.

You must submit the application form in official form (downloadable here), the proof of payment of the card fee, a recent color photograph on a white background, card size.


If you have Spanish nationality then you need to process the DNI and you must bring from the consulate of origin the literal Birth certificate issued by the corresponding Civil Registry, or if applicable, the Certificate of registration of the nationality.

In addition they will ask you for the registration that must be issued with a maximum advance of 3 months to the date of application for the DNI and a recent passport-sized photograph.

On the website of the Ministry of Interior you will find detailed the specific procedure to follow.

Open chat
Hello 👋
Can we help you?